What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique number which the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will issue for all residents. The number will be stored in a centralised database and linked to the basic demographics and biometric information – photograph, ten fingerprints and iris – of each individual. The details of the data fields and verification procedures are available here.
Aadhaar will be:
Easily verifiable in an online, cost-effective way
Unique and robust enough to eliminate the large number of duplicate and fake identities in government and private databases
A random number generated, devoid of any classification based on caste, creed, religion and geography
How to apply for UID?
- The residents are required to fill up the pre-enrollment forms with enrollment agency-"ABHIPRA".
- Residents may also fill the online pre-enrollment form available on the site.
- Along with the pre-enrollment forms, residents are required to arrange copy of the ID proof and the address proof.
- Residents may approach the preferred Aadhaar - Abhipra Enrollment Center along with the above documents.
- Operators will key in all the demographic and biomatric information in the Aadhaar software.
- On successful input of the demographic and biometric data, operator will provide enrollment id, along with the acknowledgement receipt.
- Residents will be issued an Aadhaar number within 20 to 30 days.